VCE - STEP BY STEP GUIDE TO COURSE SELECTION
Although the VCE Program has a number of requirements, the emphasis is on students being able to access programs that best suit their needs and abilities.
If the program that you believe best suits you does not fit, then talk to your Course Counsellor. We are often able to find solutions or we can be flexible in the application of normal program requirements.
|All VCE Students must undertake VCE English
Undertaking a VCE Maths is not compulsory, however many university courses have a VCE Maths listed as a pre-requisite for entry.
Speak to your current and previous Mathematics teachers about which Mathematics they recommend for you
VCE Foundation Maths 1/2
VCE General Maths 1/2
VCE Maths Methods 1/2
VCE Specialist Maths 1/2
VCE Maths 3/4 options
Years 10 – 12 Typical Mathematics Pathways
Extension Maths - Methods
VCE Maths Methods Unit 1 & 2
VCE Specialist Maths Unit 1 & 2
VCE Maths Methods Unit 3 &4
VCE Specialist Maths Unit 3 &4
|VCE Maths Methods Unit 1 & 2
||VCE Maths Methods Unit 3 &4
|Year 10 Mathematics (Standard)
||VCE General Maths Unit 1 & 2
||VCE Further Maths Unit 3 &4
|Year 10 Numeracy
||VCE Foundation Maths Unit 1 & 2
VCAL Senior Numeracy
No Maths Undertaken
|VCAL Intermediate Numeracy
- Students will be recommended for VCE Maths based on Year 10 results and performance. Any variation from this will require endorsement from the Assistant Principal or relevant Domain Leader and Head of Year.
- Students can transition down from Pathway 1 to 2 or from 2 to 3, but they cannot transition up.
- All students are provided with recommendations on which pathway will best suit their capabilities.
- If you have any questions or concerns about the recommended pathway, please speak to your Maths teacher.
- Year 11 students with a “strong” background in mathematics could enrol in both Mathematical Methods CAS Unit 1 & 2 and Specialist Maths Unit 1 & 2, if Mathematical Methods Unit 1 & 2 was not completed in Year 10.
- Students can include Mathematical Methods CAS, Further Mathematics and Specialist Mathematics in their ATAR Scores. (If all three are taken, one is to be a fifth/sixth subject in ATAR)
- Students cannot study Year 12 Specialist Maths and Further Maths in the same year.
- Students may obtain credit towards satisfactory completion of VCE for up to 8 units of Mathematics.
All Year 11 VCE Students must undertake 5 subjects, including English.
Dromana College encourages Year 11 students to undertake a VCE Unit 3 /4 subject
VCE Accounting 3/4
VCE Applied Computing / Data Analytics
VCE Business Management
VCE Extended Investigation 3/4
VCE Food Studies
VCE Health & Human Development
VCE History (20th Century / Revolutions)
VCE Legal Studies
VCE Literature Unit
VCE Music Performance
VCE Outdoor Education
VCE Physical Education
VCE Studio Arts
VCE Systems Engineering
VCE Visual Communication
VCE Advancement Options
- All Year 12 VCE and VET subjects are available to Year 11 students provided the subject is not already full with Year 12 students.
- However, some subjects have the Unit 1/2 as a pre-requisite for entry into the Unit 3/4.
- Students must meet the individual academic requirements to access a particular VCE Unit 3/4 subject.
- It is expected that Year 11 students who select VCE units, choose a Unit 3/4 sequence in a study that will broaden their VCE program.
- The advantage of completing a VCE Advancement Program is not only that it will provide students with a sixth study score (hence an increment on their ATAR), but it also exposes students to the demands of the VCE prior to them having to embark on a full VCE program. We would encourage all students to follow course counsellor and teacher recommendations and apply for a VCE Advancement Program should they be eligible.
- The Victorian Baccalaureate is a further qualification available to VCE students who complete a VCE Unit 3/4 Language, VCE Maths Methods Unit 3/4 and English Unit 3/4, achieving specified benchmarks.
|Students should elect subjects that complement their other subject choices
Group Music Performance
VCE Accounting 1/2
VCE Dance 1-4
VCE Environmental Science 1/2
VCE Geography 1/2
VCE Global Health (Health / Outdoor Ed)
VCE Media 1/2
VCE Product Design Tech Fashion 1/2
VCE Psychology 1/2
VCE Visual Communication 1/2
VET Hospitality – Kitchen Operations
VET Sport & Recreation 1/2
STEP 5 BACKUP CHOICES
Please choose additional back up choices.
These must include:
- One elective from the Wednesday block and
- Three electives from the VCE block
Parents seeking further advice and assistance on the selection of subject electives should contact the relevant Coordinator, Domain Leader or Senior Sub School Leader via email email@example.com
Additionally, parents are invited to attend an optional Parent / Student course counselling session between 3:30pm - 6:00pm in the Staffroom on Wednesday 24th July (no appointment necessary).